Dev Log 5th of December 2014

This week, it was back to work on Quick Quote. There are a bunch of improvements I want to make with how quotes are handled, such as adding customer details, and marking them as an invoice. On Monday, I added the ability to attach a note to a quote, which appears when the quote is sent to the customer. However, when starting on the other features, I ran into difficulties with the way quotes are stored internally. It’s caused me problems in the past, and I’ve finally decided to spend time reorganising things.

Technical Debt

“Technical Debt” is a measure of how awkward the code is to work with. When developing software, often you don’t fully understand a problem until you’ve already solved it once. At that point, the solution works so you move on, but it might be overly complicated, or slow, or less versatile than it should be. As this debt builds-up, development takes longer and certain tasks become impossible. Paying-off this debt takes time, but makes things easier in the long run.

In this case, when I began on Quick Quote, in my inexperience I decided to store quotes as XML files, rather than in a database, as it would be simpler. Up to a point, this has worked well – I’ve been able to gradually add new things to the quote files in a backwards-compatible way without having to do potentially messy database changes. The downside is that files have limited metadata – they have a name, and the last time they were edited, and not a lot else. For the saved-quote list to display or sort by anything else, such as whether the quote is an invoice, it would need to read in each file and process it, which could be very slow if there were a lot of quotes. This is the main reason I wanted to switch to a database, the other being that Android’s data-synchronisation system is poorly suited to working with files, so I’ll be in a better position to implement that in the future.

The biggest hurdle for this change is that everything needs to be converted the first time that Quick Quote launches, and that’s what I’ve spent the rest of this week on. It’s been slow work, as there are lots of things I’ve not done before, but it’ll all be useful for when I make future apps.

Ludum Dare

This weekend is Ludum Dare 31! LD is an online event where people create a game from scratch over a weekend. I’m hoping to participate, in which case I’ll have a new game for you by Monday. I’m hoping that the theme will be ‘Deep Space’, so I can make a rocketry game, but we’ll see.